Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Father, Brother, Coach three pillars of my life: Sachin

Sachin Tendulkar

It seems that all these years have had no impact on Sachin Tendulkar, cricket’s most definitive run machine. At 36, Tendulkar is still the affable boy who charms one and all with a smile. On a recent visit to the capital, the ace batsman got candid, speaking his heart out on a range of issues- from the IPL and women’s cricket to the important people in his life and his motivations to excel. 

Q. How will the shifting of the IPL to South Africa impact the tournament? It will be a completely alien experience for younger cricketers... 

Sachin: The IPL has helped Indian cricket a lot. It has exposed our budding cricketers to international talent. They are rubbing shoulders with the very best in the world. As for Mumbai Indians, Shaun Pollock and Johnty Rhodes have been training the players for over a month in South Africa, which should help the team. 

The IPL’s popularity will remain the same, irrespective of the venue. I play cricket and do not organize it. So I am focused on doing my job. 

Q. Who are the most important people in your life, people to whom you credit your success? 

Sachin: I have had three gurus in life- My father, My elder brother and my coach Ramakant Achrekar. My father gave my life the right direction. His best advice to me was- everything is temporary but your nature. Your nature will stay with you forever and if you are a good person, people will remember you. A man is successful only if people like him and want to be with him. 

My elder brother Ajit guided and introduced me to cricket. Even today, I go to him when I am faced with problems.My coach Ramakant Achrekar has helped me achieve what I have. As a school-going boy, I used to think of bunking practice sessions but he himself took me on his scooter to practice cricket. In hindsight, I feel that had I missed all those practice sessions, I would not have succeeded. In sum, I have benefited immensely from these three people who have been my key influencers in life. 

Q. What is your reflection on MS Dhoni’s captaincy? Is it true that you recommended his name for captaincy? 

Sachin: Dhoni has been a very good captain. We should be happy with what is happening with our team. I used to interact with him before he was captain, standing in the slips. And I found him very level-headed. Indian team is in good hands under Dhoni and we aim to be the number one team in the world but are going step by step in the pursuit. 

It’s a well-balanced team that we have. I see myself as the elder brother in the team, sharing my experience with younger players. Harbhajan, Yuvraj, the others and I are always sharing each others’ experiences and learning from each other. And then of course there is the coach Gary Kirsten who helps us all. Its terrific being a part of this side. 

Q. What are your views on the progress of women’s cricket? 

Sachin: The women’s cricket team is good. They have proved themselves and are progressing well. Last year, Jhoolan Goswami’s recognition as the ICC woman player of the year was a high point. I hope that the BCCI continues to support women’s cricket the way it has. 

Q. Do you see another champion cricketer coming up in son Arjun? 

Sachin: I think it’s a bit premature as he is only ten years old. He has a life of his own and he will make his choices. I will let him choose things for himself and nothing will be forced on him. 

Q. What is your ambition now, having achieved so much? How has your reaction to media commentary changed over the years? 

Sachin: There is a I am happy with my life and do not miss anything. God has been very kind to me. I want to enjoy cricket as long as possible. Life is about completing a circle and it teaches a lot. Cricket has also taught me a lot. To me, happiness in life is that when I score a ton, I should have my people around me to celebrate it with. 

That is why all my fans play a big role in my life and in making me happy. To play cricket, what matters to me is that my fitness is top-notch. I have to focus on how to score, more than anything else. I do not react much to media criticism. Every person has their own opinion and those who matter will reach to me. Playing for India is still the biggest thing for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

News, Videos and Photos of IPL-2009

Labels